You can clearly see the resemblance to Aaron Burr from this photo of Grandmother Pearl D. You can also see the effect of the sinus infection in the puffiness of her face. Eventually she had an operation on her pituitary which changed her appearance, and afterwards she wore dentures which greatly improved her stage career. She played the piano and sang. There is a piece in which she performs. You can order it for yourself on the internet. She wasn't fantastic, but the piano thing did launch her career, that is marrying well twice. Many writers knew Pearl read manuscripts for her husband, so I have noticed several books that made reference to her. One even did a line portrait of her for the cover. At least that is my presumption because no actual credit is given. It was sort of like sending an anonymous love note or note of appreciation. Whether she caught on or not, I do not know. I do know her husband used to like to put her in shows that made her look like a slut. He never divorced her, so I guess she proved to be a good wife in many ways.
I know Pearl must have been an expert house cleaner, though she eventually had a maid. Her sister, Aunt Faye was so proud of her oven after twenty years of use, it was spotless as was the rest of her house. Often wondered what was in those picnic baskets that were prepared for the sick. She was big on home visits of the sick in her church. She was very active. I know Daddy always wanted us to eat with Faye's brother Jamie.
When Great Granny Ida Jane Burr D. died, she left me some baby blankets that belonged to Daddy and a cameo ring that Pearl wore. The ring was smaller than a size 5, which is the smallest adult woman's size. I wore it to my girlfriend Jane's house and left it on the window sill, when I washed the dishes, and her maid lifted it.
Now Jane's maid was a very spritely young black woman, who used to pick cotton for extra money so she could go to NYC, and she loved to tell us stories about that. She also had rich friends who hired her seasonally in New York City. She was great fun. She wore a cotton bandana around her head and an old cotton dress with hose turned down. Her feet were flat, as were most black people's, who worked the fields in those days in the south. So, for some reason I saw Pearl's ring in a silly movie on the finger of a twelve year old. Isn't that strange. Call me and I will tell you how to find these videos of interest to the family. My cameo performance.
No comments:
Post a Comment